A common question asked by the everyday AirPod users is – Why the Air Pods abruptly sound muffled?
Apple is perhaps the leading name that has become one of the first mobile computing companies that have given birth to these magical Air Pods.
Nowadays many people consider these to be an excellent choice due to their diminutive size and great sound along with the wireless feature. Not only the size but these have become a fashion status for millions across the globe.
Do you know? The commonest reason responsible for muffled sound is something which comes from the dirty speakers. They sit deep inside your ear canal, and the wax build-up with time & use leads to reduced quality of sound.
One more reason which can’t be ignored here is the Bluetooth interference or the Air Pods may be in need of a complete reset.
With an Apple gadget, you get max functionality and a myriad of features that help you to take control of your music with considerable ease. Though the Air Pods are made using brilliant technology yet they may malfunction leading to muffled or distorted sounds or music.
The reason could be anything!!! And you surely need to fix any issues that may lead to bad sound quality and make use of your earbuds in the best way as you have spent a significant amount of money to own these.
About Apple Air Pods and their Sound
You will get this relevant information from Apple’s website too- When the Air Pods are sitting in your ears they operate using motion accelerometers and optical sensors to detect.
The voice detection feature comprises of an additional ‘speech-detecting accelerometer which functions using beamforming microphones for filtering out external noise and focusing on the sound of your voice.’
With the standard charge, you get 5-hours of listening time or 3 hours of talk time. In case you are looking for a quick charge then in just 15 minutes (specialized case) will give you 2 hours of talk time with 3 hours of listening.
For added convenience the escorting cool case does everything.
Along with convenience they are designed for superior-quality sound too. This is perfect for listening to music, podcasts, and delivers crystal clear sounds in the mid-tones.
Once you invest in the Air Pods you can remain relaxed for the life as they function great, but if you find distorted or muffled sound then go for the fixes mentioned below.
Muffled Sound Issues – How you can fix?
Cleaning Your AirPods
For maintaining good sound quality you need to clean your Air Pods every 3 to 6 months. The hygiene regime you follow for the Air Pods will add longevity & life to it even after years of use.
Follow the following easy steps:
- Use a Microfiber Cloth to wipe down the exterior: This will give you a basic clean. Perform this even after everyday use. Even done frequently this won’t hurt your Air Pods and eliminate the chances of dirt build-up over time.
- You should clean the speaker ports: This will help you keep the crevices clean and free-of any build-up. Just note that the indents are fairly small and difficult to get in.
The right tools are going to help you in the right way:
- Microfiber cloth
- Paper towel
- Screen cleaner (like an optic cleaner for DSLR cameras)
- Rubbing alcohol (90% or higher) – in place of screen cleaner
- Compressed air or small air pump (optional)
Once you ae ready with the material…..follow the process:
- Spray screen cleaner- When you rub the alcohol on one end of the Q-tip, this softens the wax and dirt build-up in the crevices. Rubbing alcohol enables the sanitation of units.
- Spread the cleaner on the grill – Make use of the Q-tip to reach each part of the earbud which has a dark mesh grille. This is the area from which the sound comes out, probably the most affected by messy build-up.
Pro Tip: Do not apply excess pressure to these areas as the mesh screen is delicate.
- Use Toothpick to remove the build-up: Let the alcohol do its work and then gently remove the softened build-up from the crevices.
- Wipe again using a microfiber cloth: You can get rid of the remaining particles and do the extra cleaning with some screen cleaner or alcohol.
- Use compressed air for extra benefit: You can use a compressed air canister for removing particles from behind the grill. Though an optional process but will give you benefits.
- Drying Time: After getting assured, leave them to dry. The larger part of the speaker should face down ward so that the liquid migrates outward without damaging the inner working of the Air pods.
Repeat this for the second ear bud. You can perform the entire cleaning process one-by-one while you are still using one ear bud.
- Clean the Charging Case too: They may also get some dirt deposits….and cleaning the charging case involves similar steps as done above.
Cleaning may not solve all the problems related to sound muffling. Some more steps may be needed to fix this.
Enabling a Stable Bluetooth Connection
An unstable Bluetooth could be responsible for crackly or distorted sounds. The only way with which your Air Pods connect to any device is Bluetooth. Now you can imagine how important is its functioning and that too without interference.
In case the stability of the connection is hampered then you need to know the exact reason and should work to fix it.
- Disable Nearby Bluetooth Devices
Since, in the present digital scenario, several users tend to run more than one Bluetooth device at a time such as the keyboards, speakers, printers, wireless headphones, etc.
You need to ensure that these devices are disconnected or turned off.
Though this may not resolve all your issues but for some of the users this may work as magic.
However, if the problem still persists, then move on to the next step:
Enable and disable Bluetooth
Similar to a Wi-Fi connection the Bluetooth is also a wireless radio frequency which can experience connectivity issues. So, the answer could be simple for this – restarting the connection on your iPad, iPhone, or Mac.
- Open the Control Center or the Menu Bar of your phone on your PC.
- Turn-off your Bluetooth completely.
- Count for about 10 seconds.
- Later, Turn Bluetooth On.
In many of the cases this may aid in restoring your Bluetooth connection. But, still if things do not work out then follow this to reset your Air Pods.
Reset your Air Pods
If you reset your Air Pods then you may be able solve multiple issues. Along with the promising sound quality fix, this has also purportedly solved battery problems for early versions.
After resetting your earbuds, just ensure that you re-pair them with your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other device.
- Reset Using the Setup Button: Press and hold the setup button for about 15 seconds.
- Check for the flashing white LED: Firstly, the indicator light will turn white, later will flash numerous times (amber). Finally, will settle to flash white again.
- Pair Air Pods with your device: Now is the time to pair your Air Pods with any device.
- Hear something: Try listening something of your choice and check the sound issue. If still you have problems then check out your iOS device for any updates.
If None of the Fixes Work
If cleaning, enabling a Bluetooth connection or resetting of Air Pods….none of these work then it is time to connect or contact the PROFESSIONALS!
You can go for Apple support or visit your nearby Apple store for troubleshooting.
A product with warranty will help you to fix or replace it. Apple will assist you to deal with a defective unit for free or at a lower cost. Since the Air Pods especially the new version may be in high demand, so stay prepared for some wait if you want to get a replacement for your Air Pods.