Are you looking for Best Phones For Hearing Impaired? Hearing ailments can have a serious impact on day to day life of a person and in some extreme cases can also cause potential loss of income. While a person can easily communicate with the help of visual clues, one may not always be in a situation to have visual clues. A simple example is when you are on phone. But there is no cause of worry anymore for thanks to technology, we now have phones that can help you deal with this problem with ease. This article strives to delve deeper into the different types, features and factors about the many best hearing impaired phones in the market.
Best Selling Hearing Impaired Phones In The Market
5 Top Rated Phones For The Hearing Impaired
Panasonic Link 2 Cell Bluetooth KX-TGE274S 4 Handsets Corldess Phone
Planning to swap your old cordless phones? Then this Panasonic Link 2 Cell best cordless phone is a great product to look for. They have almost all the new features installed and hence of great benefit for home as well as home office. This high quality Panasonic model is designed ergonomically and also comes with an energy star certificate. Read more
- Linking two smart phones to the model is quite easy.
- Silver colour makes for a pleasant and stylist look
- Extra-large buttons and amplified volume is ideal for those who have poor vision or hearing.
- When you are on the other side of the room, you don’t need to run to check who is calling when the phone rings why because this phone has talking caller ID.
- After receiving or making a call, transferring it might need certain steps to be followed. This might need practice to easily do.
- Unread message on the recorder shows up on all handsets which is probably good for a home use but not for an office.
Panasonic KX-TGE233B Expandable Cordless Digital Phone with Large Keypad
Panasonic KX-TGE233B is a great phone for hearing impaired with excellent voice clarity and is a perfect solution for home and home office. Expect all the good features like tone equalizer, intelligent eco mode and power back-up operation in this model. If you are having many rooms in your house and would love for a phone to be placed in each room, then this model can be really be helpful to you. Read more
- Excellent voice clarity with enhanced noise reduction is the most appreciable feature of this phone.
- Digital answering system is so convenient.
- Comes with 3 cordless system which can be expanded up to 6.
- Power back up option leaves you worry free even in power outage times.
- The number buttons are large and also back lit, so no need to roam around to find your glasses.
- Not a suitable phone if you are looking for louder voice.
- Speed dial numbers need to be set in each cordless separately.
Clarity Alto 54005.001 Digital Extra Loud Big Button Speakerphone
Some might not prefer to go for cordless version because they might not render very good voice quality like corded ones. This Clarity Alto 54005.001 Digital Extra Loud Big Button Speakerphone is one such model that can amplify the incoming sound to its maximum volume so that hearing impaired can easily hear. Read more
- Clear call quality is 100 percent guaranteed in this phone because of its incorporated hearing aid technology.
- You can control this volume with simple and easy to use wheel and large boost button.
- Extra loud ringer volume is so convenient with this Clarity phones.
- Battery backup is available that lets you to make a call or attend calls, when the power is completely out.
- Not a cordless version and comes with a regular desk phone.
- No caller ID display is available with this phone.
Clarity XLC3.4 (59234) Amplified Cordless Phone Review
Severe hearing problems can no longer prevent you from using phone, this amazing product Clarity XLC3.4 Amplified Cordless Phone is designed especially for you. Trouble hearing mild as well as moderate tones too? Then go for this specialised phone which converts the incoming sound to highest level and outgoing to a moderate level. Read more
- Add up to 4 additional handsets if you have many rooms in your house.
- Dual power battery allows calls even when the power is out.
- Caller ID displays the number so it is easy to avoid unnecessary calls.
- 4 tone settings is a fantastic feature that allows a customised listening.
- Comes with a belt clip for Hands-Free Mobility.
- The volume adjust knob is placed on the side of the unit which might be comfortable for some users.
- Comes with high price tag but it is worth it.
Panasonic KX-TG6592T 2-Handsets Cordless Phone, Titanium Black
A fantastic product from a well known brand, Panasonic phones, takes away your worries even if you have hearing and eyesight issues. Though crafted with ageing people in mind, this Panasonic KX-TG6592T hearing amplified cordless phones cannot be restricted to them alone but can be appreciated by all for its fantastic sound clarity, legibility and easy to use system. Read more
- Comes with a big screen and big buttons, so convenient to use for all those senior eyes and ears.
- This Phone announces who is calling and can even program caller specific ring tones.
- Headphone jack is provided so you can connect your headphone to this phone.
- The energy-saving Intelligent Eco Mode technology is installed in this Panasonic KX-TG6592T headset which reduces its stand-by power consumption by 77%.
- Slightly expensive but worth the investment for both visually and hearing impaired.
- This panasonic kx tg6592t phone might not suit those who are not interested in hearing loud voice or ringtones.
What Is Hearing Impaired Phones?
In simple words, it is a phone that helps those suffering from any level of hearing loss to easily communicate over the phone. For a hearing impaired person, the visual signs are a vital part in direct contact to grasp on what the conversation is about. And it becomes even tougher when they have to depend on phone communication where there is no chance for a visual. Hearing aids can only help to a certain extent and that is why we depend on the phones for the hearing impaired which help it easy for anyone suffering from mild to extreme hearing loss to have a meaningful conversation on phone.
Why & For Whom Hearing Impaired Phones Are Used?
Any person who is deaf or suffering from mild to extreme hearing impairment can make use of these good hearing impaired phones and benefit from it. These phones make it easier for even those who have a problem with their eyesight to make and take calls without any glitch. It is used to enhance the person’s ability to hear what is spoken over the phone much clearly and communicate without any problem. When compared to hearing aid, this is much clearer and ensures a clear transmission of the conversation. In short, it amplifies the volume over the phone so that the person with hearing impairment can easily understand the conversation. It is useful to many including,
- Senior citizens who are suffering age induced hearing loss.
- People who are deaf.
- People suffering from mild to severe hearing loss.
- People who are having a tough time at both hearing and seeing. This is why some of these phones come with over sized keypads and illuminated background for easy recognition.
There are plenty of products in the market and based on your level of hearing impairment you can choose the one that fits you fine.
What Are The Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) Standards for Phones?
Cell phones and other form of phones designed to help the hearing impaired are generally rated based on their efficiency and ability to be compatible with the hearing aids used by a person. This compatibility requirement to be met by the phones is referred to as the HAC (Hearing Aid Compatibility) standards. There is a rating awarded to each phone based on their compatibility as M1-M4 and T1-T4 where M stands for the microphone and T stands for the telecoil. Higher the rating better would be the compatibility and minimum would be the interference.
- While selecting phones for hard of hearing person, we should also consider M-rating and T-rating factors.
- The M-rating are microphone rating, it refers to ability of phone to function with hearing aid with minimal interference.
- The T-rating refers to ability of phone to function with telecoil feature of hearing aid. It is also known as Telecoil rating.
- Each phone is given rating from M1 to M4 among which M4/T4 is the highest rating indicating least amount of electromagnetic interruption. Thus such phones reduce extra background noises.
- If we consider above factors while making selection of hearing impaired devices then we can end up making a wise decision based on need, type and features. Prices of such devices are nominal but with addition of more features it could vary.
While this rating does not guarantee a phone’s performance, it definitely is a major factor while choosing a good quality phone for hearing impaired. Let us take a look at the various top quality hearing impaired phones and how they fare on the HAC.
1. Amplified Phones
An amplified phone is the simplest way to ensure that you hear a telephone conversation and these are available at almost every electronic store and can help you deal with mild to severe hearing loss. These are by design similar to that of the best home phones and are available in both corded and cordless models. They have additional features to enhance the sound and equalizing the tone making it easy for you to carry out conversations over phone. There are quite a few amplified cordless telephones for hearing impaired in the market with Panasonic, Clarity, Plantronics, etc. leading the race with more interesting features on their product.
2. Captioning Phones
With a visual screen on the phone, you get a word to word caption of the conversation that you are having on the phone. In this case the operator will be receiving the words, and then repeat the same through a voice recognition software which will then display the same in the form of text on the screen before you. Captioning Telephones is quite useful for those who have a tough time hearing and communicating without being able to comprehend what the other person is saying. Hamilton and Caption call are leading brands in the market in this sector and you can get some of the best options from them.
3. TTY Phones
A text telephone is what TTY is all about. When a hearing impaired person is unable to decipher the conversation on phone, using these TTY phones will help them communicate using text. In this case, any message you receive on your phone is typed in the form of text to you for reading it and the response you type is read out by the operator to the listener. There is an option called Voice Carry Over (VCO) which allows the person to listen to the voice and type in their response for communication. Ultratech, Ameriphone and Clarity are some of the leading makes in this sector.
4. Video Relay Service (VRS)
If the person uses the sign language (American) to communicate then this is a boon for them to use. This is definitely of benefit to those who have both speech and hearing impairment. One can use the sign language to communicate what they want to say, which is then translated by the operator and transmitted in voice to the other person. And everything from the other end is also transmitted in the form of sign language for the hearing impaired person to better understand. Purple communication, Spring Relay and Sorenson VRS are some leading companies you can rely on.
5. Video Calling
This is similar to the previous option VRS, the only difference being there is no operator in between. You would be using options like Skype or Face time through which you can communicate directly with your friend and family.
How The Good Amplified Phone Helps The Hard Of Hearing Person?
Staying connected with people is what saves one from falling into the abyss called depression. But when you are suffering from hearing loss, then staying connected with even your family seems impossible unless they live with you. This is where the amplified phones and other hearing impaired phones come to the rescue of those who are suffering from hard of hearing. Amplified phones have the option to turn up or turn down the volume as required by the user at the time of speaking. Along with features like tone equalizer, it ensures that you hear the conversation clearly and is able to articulate it easily. Also given that these phones come with several other features like amplifying your outgoing speech, illuminated and over sized keypads, all your woes on talking over phone is absolutely conquered.
Depending on the severity of your hearing loss, you can look for a suitable amplified phone. Some of the key benefits of the amplified phones include,
- Illumination on the over sized keypad for a better visual.
- Easy to record messages and retrieve.
- Compatible with hearing aids.
Also these phones make it easy to hear in closed or open space, without any interruption from other background noises.
Features Of The Best Rated Phones For Hearing Impaired
Being an innovative product in itself, the amplifier phones come with many interesting new features for helping those who are impaired with hearing. The important ones being:
1. Tone Equalizer
As the name implies, this feature is to moderate the treble, bass and the tone in general during a conversation over phone. This is quite important for the voice of every individual varies and simply increasing the volume is not the solution to make it heard. So you need an adjustment which is aligned to the tone of the voice, so that you can make out on what the person is speaking clearly over phone. You are not just increasing the volume here, but you are neutralizing the tone and thereby improving the quality of the conversation.
2. HAC (Hearing aid Compatibility)
It is normal for people suffering from hearing impairment to be wearing a hearing aid for their daily routine conversations. Now imagine having to take it out every time they need to converse on phone. Not so flexible? Also by removing hearing aid, you are impeding the possibility of listening to the conversation clearly. This is why you need a phone that is compatible with your hearing aid. This way you can wear your hearing aid when you are speaking over phone or in person.
3. Expandable Handsets
When you are living in a house with more than a room, then you cannot have only one amplifier phone. But again, you wouldn’t want to get five different phone sets for five different rooms. The solution is to get a phone that has expandable handsets. With one base that can be set in any room, you can place the handsets in other rooms and can easily take the call from wherever you want. This would reduce any inconvenience on the people with you in the house. Also you can change the tone and other settings on the base for all handsets together in one shot.
4. Integrated Messaging Machine
This is for you to make use of when you are unable to take the phone call. The feature allows you to record messages for nearly 40 minutes in length and you can play them back at any time at leisure. Also the system comes with an intuitive and toggle base interface where you can search for message from a particular person and retrieve it. Recording and retrieving voice mail on your phone has been made easy with this feature.
5. Over Sized Illuminated Keypad
These top rated corded or cordless telephones are highly helpful for senior citizens and for those who have vision and hearing issues. The keypad is sized larger than the usual models and have an illuminated background to provide you an enhanced visibility. So there will be no more dialing wrong numbers. The illumination ensures that the keys are visible even in dim lighting and the size of the keys is large enough for you to find them.
6. Eco Mode
Of course, this is a bigger worry when you buy any form of electronic equipment – the amount of power it will consume and eventually cost on your wallet. When you buy amplified phones that have the Eco mode feature, you are eventually reducing power consumption of these machines by 77%. This is an added advantage when you are buying these kinds of phones.
If you have a mild or a moderate hearing loss and you are also suffering from slight vision impairment then you would find that these amplified phones are much suited for your needs. Of course, if your impairment is severe there are phones with other features to make up for the requirement.
Tips For Speaking To Hearing Impaired Individuals
Communicating with hearing impaired person is a challenge for both the parties. Hearing aids are not ideal for all the circumstances.
Here are few tips which will help to converse successfully with hearing impaired person:
- Draw the attention towards yourself.
- Make an eye contact to inculcate assurance.
- Don’t cover your face as lip-sync is a physical cue.
- Try to use new word when unable grasp existing word.
- Don’t blabber as it’s difficult to understand.
- Keep an eye on expressions, as it reveals level of understanding.
- Try to position yourself towards the better ear of the listener.
- Don’t look frustrated as empathy is extremely important.
Benefits of The Top Ranked Hearing Impaired Phones
Hearing aids are not the only option to deal with communication difficulties, a hearing impaired individual confronts with many communication problems on a daily basis while talking on phone. Let’s take a small test to know whether we really need an phone for hearing impaired.
- Are you unable to catch the words on the first go and quite often asking to repeat word’s or sentences on phone?
- Is it difficult to understand in crowded areas?
- You are hesitant to use the phone as audio is not clear to understand?
- Hard of hearing is the cause to avoid people in your surroundings?
- Is hearing more hard in open space than in confined room?
If the answer is “YES” to above questions then you definitely need a phone for hearing impaired as it will be a solution to all the above problems.
Let’s Find Out Few Benefits Of Good Quality Amplified Hearing Impaired Phones:
- Increases intimacy among friends and family members. As user no longer will be reluctant to speak due to clarity of speech and sound.
- Enables user to increase volume of the phonein order to hear the speech clearly.
- High pitched noises are challenge for hearing impaired people which becomes easy to hear with such devices.
- Some phones have inbuilt amplifier to increase volume of outgoing speech. This helps those who without realization are soft spoken.
- Caller ID helps to recognize whether it’s a sales call or from some known person.
- Large flashy number keys and speakerphones are added benefit to make it more user friendly.
- Few phones have feature of headset which gives more clarity of speech.
- Photo Dialing facility is one of the added advantage which gives easy access to dialing list.
- Answering machines are helpful for those who cannot reach the phone in hurry and such phones can hold recording approximately up to 40 minutes.
- Few phones also have alert system which indicates when phone is not hung up properly.
- The tone equalization and increase in ringer tone makes it more convenient to use. It solves the problem of missing any important call.
- Such phones are customized according to different needs of users.
For e.g. there are 3 categories of hearing impaired individuals Mild, Moderate and Severe.
- Mild hearing loss is where individuals can hear speech between 26 and 40 decibels. Portable amplifiers which are attached to the handsets make the conversation simpler and easy.
- Moderate hearing loss individuals can hear speech between 40 and 70 decibels. In-line amplifiers are best choice for such individuals which also help to control the tone of the speech.
- Severe hearing loss individuals can hear speech between 70 and 90 decibels. Phones with high ringing capacity, tone control and with visual indicator will benefit such severe impaired people.
Thus looking into above benefits it is quite evident that technological advancement has helped those who were unable to express themselves due to hearing impairment, which was causing depression and frustration. Phones for hearing impaired should be selected according to the above given benefits and keeping in mind individual needs.
Hearing impairment is not an impediment anymore to make conversations over phone. If you are suffering from permanent deafness or a age induced mild hearing loss, you can trust these different best phones for hearing impaired to help you out in your time of need. With a wide range of features and multiple brands in the markets, you are never left feeling short of anything. Understand your requirements, decide on your budget and invest in the smartest hearing impaired phone for your life. Communicate freely and leave behind any worries of hearing with the help of these corded and cordless hearing impaired phones.